Quest for American-Made Lamps

Prism_table

American made is important to us. In fact, more than 90 percent of our assortment is American made. And we’re continually working on ways to bring the other 10 percent onto U.S. soil. One area where we know we have room to improve is our lighting. Most of what’s available in the market is made in China, even if it’s designed here.  So we recently decided to make our own.

One of the many benefits of working within the U.S. is the relationships we build with our manufacturers. When we set out on our lighting quest, we knew we needed a long-term, trusted partner who was willing to get creative with us, so we turned to our friends at Sielaff.

Ulrich Sielaff and his sons Alex and Jason have been making steel furniture for us for years. Just as much engineers as artisans, we knew the Sielaff trio and their skilled craftspeople were capable of making modern steel lamps. Turns out they were more than capable. Together, we came up with three new lamp designs, all made in charming Mineral Point, WI. Meet Cricket, Duo and Prism.

Crickett floor lamp e1397166844377 Quest for American Made Lamps

Hello, hairpin legs. The Cricket lamp is available in table ($369) and floor ($449) sizes. Both have a graphite steel base and natural linen shade, and a 60-watt halogen bulb. The full range dimmer switch is on the cord for easier operation.

Duo table e1397167243670 Quest for American Made Lamps

The Duo lamp is available in three table sizes ($339-$419) and a floor version ($519). We like the gentle curves that soften the otherwise linear design. There are two different options for the base–a gunmetal colored steel or a shiny, white powdercoated steel. We love a full-range dimmer, so all of the Duo lamps have them. The switch is on the cord so you don’t have to squeeze your way into the shade to operate the light.

Prism lamp e1397166989183 Quest for American Made Lamps

The light and airy Prism lamp has four sizes ($379-$519) and three base options: stainless steel, graphite or white. Each lamp has a barely-noticeable steel eyelet on the base that helps the cord track close to the back right leg for a clean look. Again, full-range dimmers for everyone!

You can see all of our modern lamps here.

Photos by Room & Board

Leave a Reply

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

css.php