Planning a trip to St. Louis? You may want to make a special visit to Brennan’s, a wonderfully unique business concept located in the Central West End. Brennan’s features a bar, restaurant and cigar club. Now in its 13th year of operation, it has added BHIVE, a 3,000-square-foot collaborative workspace, which offers memberships for individuals and businesses. By night, the space is a place for speakers, networking events and entertaining.
I connected with owner Kevin Brennan to learn more about the project and see how they incorporated our modern Murphy sofa into BHIVE’s eclectic interior.
- What inspired this project? The inspiration behind the project was the challenge of turning an adjoining outdated office into a modern workspace and incorporating the new space into a business model that already consisted of a bar, restaurant and cigar club.
- Describe the space. It’s a modern office space made primarily with traditional materials including wood, marble, glass, and steel. The furniture is an eclectic mix of new Italian and American, mid-century modern, handmade local and repurposed items.
- What brought you to Room & Board? I was in Chicago and walked through one of the retail locations. Room & Board has well-designed, intelligent looking furniture at a reasonable price point. Modern shapes and colors set the pieces apart. This is what we found interesting and figured it would work well within our space.
- Tell us about the process. The process of designing for me comes from sitting in the space and visualizing what I want out of it. Finding a focal point in the room or deciding on a piece of furniture, and then evolving the rest of the room around that item is what determines where things go, whether it’s a mantel, desk, couch or even wallpaper.
- Any surprises? There are always surprises in a 100+ year old building, and they usually aren’t beneficial. However, we were able to repurpose windows and doors, restore a lot of the marble that was here, and find a couple old fireplaces that were covered up.
Looking to furnish your office or business? Connect with our Business Interiors team for free expert advice and spot-on design ideas.
Photos by RJ Hartbeck