Jennifer Chong is a food & travel photographer and the writer behind See & Savour, a Los Angeles-based lifestyle blog that focuses on the pursuit of a tasty and wanderlust life. Originally from Georgia and a graduate of the Savannah College of Art and Design, Jennifer now resides in Long Beach. Beyond documenting her love of food and travel, she spends her time working as a consultant on a number of design-related projects.
This past fall, Jennifer moved into a new 650-square-foot apartment with her boyfriend. This provided the couple with the challenge of creating a well-designed space that seamlessesly blended their unique styles. With a shared passion for mid-century design, they turned to Room & Board. With our help, they now live in a newly updated space they love featuring 10 of our modern American-made designs. Here are some before & after photos of the transformation.
Like what you see? Head on over to See & Savour to see more photos of the transformation and enter to win an Era Round planter and a Squire wall organizer. Read on to learn more about Jennifer, her work and what makes her tick.
- When you were six, what did you think you’d grow up to be? Olympic figure skater. I started figure skating when I was five and idolized Kristi Yamaguchi – I wanted to be just like her!
- What inspired the creation of your blog? I was working a 9-to-5 design job when I first started my blog and wanted a space to share things that I loved and that inspired me. Since then, the blog has evolved into more of a journal of my love for travel and food.
- How would you describe your design style? I’m always attracted to things that are simple and modern. I love the clean lines of Mid-century and Scandinavian pieces. However, the most important thing is that it’s casual and comfortable.
- Describe your home. Our home is a small 650-square-foot apartment. We are the first to live in the space so everything is brand new, which is exciting. I work from home and spend most days in the bedroom office. The living room and kitchen are where my boyfriend Y and I spend most of our time cooking and relaxing. I love entertaining but our space isn’t big enough for us to entertain many people, we hope to move into a house in the next year so we can.
- Where do you turn for inspiration? I love to just get outside and go somewhere, whether it’s a trip down the street or traveling to another country. I love exploring new places and trying new things. When I can’t get out, Pinterest is my go-to online destination for inspiration.
- What won’t we catch you without? A camera! Whether it is my full size DSLR or my camera phone, I’ve always got something on me to capture moment. Oh and I ALWAYS carry chapstick – I use Burt’s Bees obsessively and have one in each room of the house!
- Two things in your home you can’t live without: 1. Ceramics – I’ve been slowly growing my handmade ceramic collection, while I don’t have that many yet, I cherish the ones I do have. 2. External Drives – The total practical side of me can’t live without my external drives. They house everything from my past projects to travel photos. I’d be devastated if I lost those memories.
- My perfect Saturday would include: Early morning beach volleyball or hiking, an afternoon spent with old friends and delicious eats scattered throughout the day.
- What’s your biggest pet peeve? People who are late, specifically those who don’t tell you they are going to be late until the actual meeting time! I’m a stickler about always being on time – if I’m not five minutes early I’m basically late in my mind.
- What are your favorite design destinations in Los Angeles? I love visiting LACMA and the LA’s newest museum The Broad – great design and art in one space. Formerly Yes, a boutique shop filled with functional simple products that are thoughtfully designed.
Photos from Jennifer Chong