An intricate Persian-inspired pattern and elegant finish give this rug a vintage feel yet allow it to work with any style of furniture. Made of hand-spun 100% wool, Heriz features geometric floral motifs with a striking center medallion and wide, contemporary border. This dense, soft rug is hand-knotted for outstanding durability and undeniable beauty.
Please note that shedding is a natural occurrence in high-quality wool rugs, but will decrease over time. The amount of shedding will depend on the traffic pattern and use of your rug.
Details of Heriz 8'x9'9" Rug
- Dimensions: 8'w 9'9"l
- Features: varigated color created from a natural dyeing technique; ideal for high-traffic areas
- Pile Height: .25"h
- Edge Detail: ends knotted with fringe; ends knotted with fringe
- Backing Type: no backing added
- Construction: hand-knotted See rug construction details
- Consideration: shedding is a natural occurrence, but will decrease over time; most shedding occurs within the first 3-6 months; rug pad recommended for hard floors to protect floor surface, add cushioning and reduce movement
- Product Origin: made in India
- Item Number: 044904
- Material: 100% wool
- Material Detail: Wool is resilient and will bounce back to its original shape after being walked on, perfect for high-traffic areas. It contains lanolin, a natural oil that makes wool stain resistant and flame retardant without chemical treatment. Dirt and debris sit on the outside of the fibers, allowing it to be vacuumed up easily.
- Finish: hand washed
- Color: ink
HAND-KNOTTED CONSTRUCTION DETAILS
Rug Design Process
Long before our rugs are woven, they start as a vision of color, composition and material. We design our rugs with inspiration from art and architecture to historical designs and nature. Every color, pattern and texture is carefully considered to ensure the rugs are both beautiful and easy to live with. We use the highest quality yarns for durability and longevity. Rugs set the foundation for your room and we're committed to bringing you an exclusive collection of colors, styles and textures that will last.
How It's Made
Simply put, weavers create each wool rug one tiny knot at a time. Experienced weavers can weave between one to two-and-one-half inches per day, demonstrating the meticulous care that goes into each rug. These unique skills are handed down from person to person—some of the weavers are part of the sixth generation of craftsmen. They are artists who create one-of-a-kind masterpieces.
Hand-knotted rugs generally feature intricate patterns that contain dozens of yarn colors. Before weaving begins, the naksha, or master plan, is plotted on huge graph paper in which each square represents one knot in the final rug. Each color on the naksha indicates a specific shade of yarn, which the weaver uses to guide the design.
The loom is prepared for weaving by setting columns of warps, stretched from the top of the loom to the bottom. The rug progresses as knot after knot of woolen yarn is tied on the warps. After the first weft (or row) is woven, it is tamped down with a mallet to keep it tight. A second weft interlocks the warps across each row to keep the knots in place. The weaver—or team of weavers, in the case of large rugs—repeats the process until the entire rug is completed. This labor-intense method produces rugs that are equal parts beautiful and durable.
Hand-knotted rugs do not require backings because their construction makes them stable without one. The reverse side of the rug shows the same pattern as the front; however, the front has a pile and the back does not.
Every rug goes through a range of quality inspections, looking for consistency in size, yarn quality, pile height and shearing. An array of washing techniques are used, each of which achieves a different effect.
Get unlimited items delivered by our dedicated Delivery Associates for one flat rate per trip—$89 for local customers within 100 miles of a Room & Board store and $129 for customers who live beyond our local delivery areas within the 48 contiguous states. Unlimited accessories ship for free via UPS (excluding accessories that require in-home delivery).