General Upholstery Care
- Because dust and dirt cause fabric to wear faster, we recommend vacuuming regularly with an upholstery attachment.
- Flip, rotate and fluff removable cushions regularly to ensure even wear and increase longevity.
- Feather and down cushions have excellent recovery, but much like down comforters or pillows, need to be fluffed frequently to restore their loft. Some feather loss is normal. Vacuuming with an upholstery attachment between the fabric casings and cushions will help prevent feathers from poking through the fabric.
- Tight (attached) cushions will stretch and wrinkle with use. You can easily restore their appearance by smoothing the surface and tucking excess upholstery into the sides of the seat or back.
- To minimize fading, avoid placing your upholstered furniture in direct sunlight. Dark fabrics and natural fibers like cotton are most susceptible to fading.
- An annual professional cleaning will keep your upholstered furniture looking its best.
How to Spot Clean Upholstery Fabric
- Do not dry clean or machine wash cushion casings as it may damage the fabric, backing or stitching. For large or persistent stains, contact an in-home professional upholstery cleaning company.
- For spot cleaning small stains, we recommend Folex® Instant Carpet Spot Remover or Crypton® Purple or Gold Upholstery Stain Remover, which are safe to use on all of our fabrics.
- Treat stains immediately for the best results. Blot up as much of the spill as possible with a clean, dry, white cloth. Don't rub.
- Apply a small amount of cleaner to the stain and gently agitate it with your fingertips. Avoid oversaturation which can damage the fabric backing or cushions.
- Blot the stain with a clean, dry, white cloth, working from the outer edge to the center of the stain.
- Continue to apply cleaner sparingly and blot until the stain no longer transfers onto the cloth. This may take several attempts. When you’ve removed as much of the stain as possible, blot any remaining cleaner from the fabric.
- If your spot cleaner recommends a water rinse, apply a small amount of distilled water to the stained area and blot to remove. Tap water may stain or discolor the fabric due to its mineral content.
- Use a hair dryer on the lowest heat setting to evenly dry the fabric and prevent moisture rings.
- Replacement cushion casings are available. Please contact us to order.
Fabric Cleaning Codes for Professional Cleaning
- In-home professional upholstery cleaning companies will request your fabric’s cleaning code, available at roomandboard.com/fabrics or on the back fabric swatches. Please contact us with any cleaning code or care questions.
- S = Solvent. Use only water-free, pure cleaning solvents.
- W = Water. Use only water-based upholstery cleaning products.
- SW = Solvent or Water. Use pure cleaning solvents or water-based cleaning products.
- Follow the general care and spot cleaning instructions above.
- For overall cleaning, we recommend professional dry cleaning. Always clean the entire slipcover to prevent color variations and ensure even wear.
- Make sure to close all zippers and fasten Velcro® before cleaning.