- Rug size is based on both the size of your room and how you arrange your furniture.
- Use painters’ tape or newspaper to help visualize the rug size in your space.
- Use a custom runner to add personality and softness underfoot in a hallway or kitchen.
- Consider whether you want all furniture on the rug, just front legs on the rug or all furniture off the rug. This will help determine the size you need.
- Leave about 18 inches between the rug edges and the wall to create a border of exposed floor. (Have a tiny room? Consider reducing the border for better proportions.)
- For the best proportion when choosing a smaller rug, it should be about the same length as or a little longer than your sofa.
- We recommend leaving at least 24 inches of the room on all sides to allow chairs to stay completely on the rug when pushed away from the table.
- If your dining area is large enough, consider leaving at least eight inches between the rug and wall to create a border.
- In a smaller dining room, you may only have 18 inches of chair clearance. We recommend choosing a flat-weave or other short-pile option, which allow chairs to move smoothly over the edge of the rug.
- Position the edge of your rug to line up with the bottom of your pillows (roughly the bottom two-thirds of your bed).
- The rug should extend at least 24 inches from sides and end of the bed if you want your feet fully on the rug when you step out of bed.
- Looking for the softness of a rug, but want to leave most of your floor exposed? Try placing a runner on each side of your bed.
Custom Product Policy
A non-refundable fee of 30% applies to custom products that are changed, canceled or returned. Full refunds are only given if the custom product order is canceled within 48 hours of being placed or in the rare case of defects in materials or workmanship.
Get unlimited items delivered by our dedicated Delivery Associates for one flat rate per trip—$99 for local customers within 100 miles of a Room & Board store and $139 for customers who live beyond our local delivery areas within the 48 contiguous states. Unlimited accessories ship for free via UPS (excluding accessories that require in-home delivery).