Canopy Rectangle Ceiling Plate - Row of Five Installation Instructions
List of parts:
- mounting bracket
- cover plate
- ground wire screw
- 6 wire hanging hooks
- 4 long wood screws
- 4 drywall anchors
- 2 machine screws
- 4 small wood screws
- 2 large wire nuts
- 10 small wire nuts
- 2 wire harnesses
- 8 small assembly screws
- tall step ladder
- Phillips screwdriver
- small blade screwdriver
- plain and long nose pliers
- tape measure
- wire stripper
- utility knife
- electrical tape
Note: Extra screws are provided for mounting to surfaces other than drywall. Consult a professional for additional information if needed.
- Determine the desired cord length for each pendant. Measure the desired cord length from your ceiling by using a tape measure, or hold the pendant cord to ceiling and adjust to desired length. Use electrical tape to mark a spot on cord about 1" below where it will meet the ceiling. (Figure 1) Note: When choosing the proper length of each pendant cord, we recommend a minimum of 22" between tables or eating surfaces and the bottom of the pendants.
- If you are hanging your pendants at varying lengths, lay them on a soft surface and adjust their positions according to your desired arrangement. Use the previously marked pendant as a guide for where to mark the remaining pendants—marks should be in line with the first marked cord. Note: Remember to compensate for sloped ceilings.
- Measure an additional 16" from the tape marks and cut cords at this location. Discard excess wire. (Figure 2)
- Starting at the cut end, carefully strip back each of the pendant cords' outside insulation to about halfway from the taped marks. If your pendant has a green ground wire, this wire can be cut off entirely as the pendants are not individually conductive. Next, strip back approximately 3/4" of the insulation on each of the remaining two inner wires of each pendant. (Figure 3)
- Affix your electrical box's (bare) ground wire to a metal component to effectively ground the unit. For metal electrical boxes, screw on the (bare) ground wire directly to the electrical box. For plastic electrical boxes, after attaching the mounting bracket to the ceiling (steps 6-7) screw the ground wire to the canopy's mounting bracket with the provided ground screw. (Figure 4)
- Feed the other two wires from your electrical box through the center clearance holes of the mounting bracket. Use the provided machine screws to screw the mounting bracket to the electrical box at points A and B (Figure 4). Do not fully tighten screws. (Figure 5)
- To complete attaching the mounting bracket to the ceiling, mark four additional locations on your ceiling for drywall anchors at points A-D somewhere within the parallel slots. Then if needed, remove one of the machine screws to rotate bracket for anchor installation. (Figure 6) Note: The optimal placement of screws/anchors in step 7 is at least 10" from the center of the mounting bracket.
- To install the drywall anchors, use a 1/4" drill bit to make pilot holes at your markings. Then screw in anchors until they are flush with the ceiling surface.
- Reposition the mounting bracket to align its slotted openings with the drywall anchors. Then use provided screws to fully affix the mounting bracket to your ceiling. Tighten all screws fully.
- Use the small holes on the vertical flanges of mounting bracket to attach the provided wire hanging hooks. Attach the other ends of the hooks to the small holes on the vertical flanges of the cover plate to suspend the cover plate from the mounting bracket. (Figure 7)
- Thread the individual pendant wires up through the steel bezels of the canopy plate. Locate plastic cord-locking collars (packaged separately) with the pendant. Tighten the lock collar onto cord. This collar will set the height of pendant and prevent the cording from slipping through the steel bezel. Adjust to achieve desired cord length. (Figure 8) Note: Certain pendants do not come with plastic cord locking collars. For these pendants, tie a knot in the cord above the steel bezel to achieve your desired cord length for each pendant.
- Repeat step 11 for the remaining pendants. Make adjustments as needed to ensure the configuration meets your needs.
- Twist like-color wires from the electrical box to the lead wires on each of the provided wire harnesses. Twist on yellow wire nuts to hold the wires together. (Figure 9)
- Twist together the remaining ends of the wire harnesses to like-color wires of the five individual pendants. Use the smaller orange wire nuts to hold the wires together.
- Remove the wire hanging hooks while lifting the cover plate to the mounting bracket. Make sure all wires are tucked safely inside. Align the slots on the side of the cover plate with the threaded holes on the side of the mounting bracket. Use the provided small assembly screws to join the components and complete your installation. (Figure 10)
- Assess the position of your pendants. If you are not satisfied with the arrangement, determine how much you would like them to move up or down and adjust locking collars or knots accordingly. Unscrew cover plate, rehang it with the wires hooks and reposition the cord locking collars or knots.
- Before testing lights, be sure to turn on the electrical power to the light at the circuit breaker.