Dining Tables & Chairs for Small Spaces
Create a dedicated eating and entertaining space in a small dining room or kitchen with functional, modern furniture. Extension tables, stackable chairs and multi-functional benches are just the beginning—take a look at the best small dining room ideas below and some of our favorite products.
Dining Tables for Small Spaces
- Eliminate running into table corners and opt for a round design. Many of our round tables also feature a pedestal base. This style takes up less square footage and allows you to easily slide chairs underneath the table.
- Create the illusion of a larger space with light colors and materials. A glass tabletop will keep your dining space feeling open and airy, while lighter woods or stones up the brightness factor.
- Easily accommodate more guests on the fly with an extension table. Bonus if the table features self-storing leaves!
- A drop-leaf table is the easiest way to get more surface area in a hurry. This is a great solution for hosting guests, and it can double as a flexible food prep station.
Hosting dinner in a small kitchen? Use artisanal cutting boards for prep and later for presentation and serving (after a quick wash, of course).
Dining Chairs for Small Spaces
- Choose smaller scale dining chairs to seat more people around the table.
- Stackable chairs are so easy to store. Keep a few in the closet to have on-hand for dinner guests.
- Prioritize stylish, comfortable chairs that can flex as dining or living room seating. Just move from room to room as needed.
The right size rug can help define a small dining space. Bonus for flat-weaves or other short pile options—they make it easy to smoothly move chairs over the rug.
Counter & Bar Tables for Small Spaces
- Place a counter or bar table against the wall to free up space in narrow kitchens and dining rooms. You can still fit multiple stools around the table.
- A round counter or bar table eliminates painful edges and can tuck nicely into a nook. Position near a window, if possible, to create a brighter, more spacious look.
- Get dual purpose out of a counter with built-in storage. You can easily stow kitchen or bar items underneath (and put them in bins and baskets for added organization).
Counter & Bar Stools for Small Spaces
- Select counter or bar stools with slim silhouettes.
- Opt for stools with pedestal bases to maximize floor space.
- Stools without backs can easily tuck underneath a bar or counter table.
Dining Benches for Small Spaces
- Benches can easily move from dining area to living room and seat a multitude of guests.
- Tuck it completely underneath a table when not in use.
Throw pillows and blankets add a modern, cozy touch to any bench and help round out the look.
Spatially challenged? Design a dining table made to your exact measurements. Ready for delivery in as few as five weeks.
Small Spaces, Big Ideas
See all of our small space design tips and learn how to make the most of minimal square footage.
Free Small Space Design Advice
Room & Board Design Associates are small space experts. Take advantage of our free design services online, over the phone or at one of our stores.