Storage Ideas for Small Spaces
The key to creating a balanced space while storing items is to use a mix of solutions. See ideas for small space storage below and shop a curated list of products.
- Open bookcases with thin, clean lines add to the loftiness of a small space.
- Go as tall as possible to maximize vertical storage.
- Consider thin width and depth to maximize usable area. Many of our bookcases are only 12 inches deep to fit into tight corners.
- As you style an open bookcase, try grouping similarly sized items for a balanced look.
Position free-standing bookcases as room dividers to define zones.
- Closed storage conceals items so clothes, pots and pans, books and more can all live happily together behind closed doors and drawers.
- Not all closed storage functions the same: Doors and drawers serve different purposes to better accommodate certain items. Opt for a mix of storage types within one unit, if possible.
- Consider door panels made from frosted glass, perforated metal or wood slats. These styles hide items but add visual interest.
Console Tables & Cabinets
- Consoles are typically shallower than traditional accent tables or cabinets. Take advantage by popping it into a tighter corner.
- Not enough room for an end table? Position a console table behind a sofa for extra surface area.
- Think outside the box and get double duty out of a console by using it as a desk, bar or prep station.
Shelves & Wall-mounted Storage
- Shelves don’t need to take up the length of a wall to be useful. Make the most of a narrow nook or tight corner.
- Doors and drawers can take up extra feet. Opt for narrow or short shelves to gain extra storage space and have items within close reach.
Uniform shelving can overpower a small room. Try staggered shelves to lighten the look and feel of a space.
- Consider multiple storage ottomans to create flexible seating options in a small space (plus all that extra storage!)
- Lacking a traditional entryway? A bench immediately defines this zone just by placing it near the door.
- Add a storage bench at the end of a bed to stash clothes or shoes nearby.
Stumped on Storage?
Design a custom cabinet to your exact dimensions and with a variety of doors, drawers and open spaces.
Small Spaces, Big Ideas
See all of our small space design tips and learn how to make the most of minimal square footage.
Free Small Space Design Advice
Room & Board Design Associates are small space experts. Take advantage of our free design services online, over the phone or at one of our stores.